Manchester Animation Festival will take place. Having grown in ambition and scope exponentially each year since it kicked off, the 2019 edition looks to be another belter with three crammed days of animationey doings. Personal highlights include a masterclass with Michaël Dudok de Wit, a showcase from the Tricky Women team as well as behind-the-scenes looks at recent features Klaus and Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon.
measly £6 to everyone else) Skwigly Screening that I've been beavering away on. This is a great opportunity to catch an hour's worth of amazing films you won't be able to catch elsewhere at the fest and as ever it's been an absolute joy to put together. The full line-up is as follows:
- Getting Started (Dir. William Crook/Switzerland/2019)
- Five Reasons Why I Don’t Trust Jellyfish (Dir. Shenja Tatschke/Germany/2019)
- Morning (Dir. Vojtěch Domlátil/Czech Republic/2019)
- M52 (Dir. Yves Paradis/Germany/2019)
- Revenge Story (Dir. Erin Kim/USA/2019)
- You Died (Dir. Sam Shaw/UK/2019)
- Creepy Pasta Salad (Dir. Lauren Orme/UK/2019)
- The Last Man on Earth Sat Alone in a Room (Dir. Junyi Xiao/USA/2019)
- Five Minutes To Sea (Dir. Natalia Mirzoyan/Russia/2018)
- #21XOXO (Dir. Imge Özbilge, Sine Özbilge/Belgium/2019)
- Moist (Dir. Greg Doble/Canada/2019)
episode 94 of the seemingly-unending Skwigly Animation Podcast went up this past week. In this one we discuss the strong critical response to Farmageddon, the lukewarm critical response to The Addams Family remake, the growing fondness for Laika’s Missing Link, the fight for the South Park streaming rights, more MAF highlights, the British Animation Awards and Autour de Minuit's Rosto graphic novel campaign.
We also welcome special guest Alex Dowding, producer at Amsterdam-based production company Submarine whose projects include the recent Amazon Prime original series Undone, an international co-production with The Tornante Company and Minnow Mountain created by Raphael Bob-Waksberg and Kate Purdy. Prior to working at Submarine, Alex’s work in animation has spanned a range of production management and supervisor roles across such projects as Despicable Me, Despicable Me 2, Minions, The Tale of Despereux and The Lorax.
Direct download this episode here or stream below: