Friday 6 March 2009

Shininess! Lovely, lovely shininess!

I put in a mini order of 'House Guest' graphic novels when I published it last week, and they arrived today. I have to say the end result is way better than I had anticipated. Given the nature of Lulu, and that it's essentially a vanity-publishing company, I kind of expected some issues - washed-out colours, drab paper, loose binding, accidental cropping and so forth. As far as I can tell it came out perfect.The cover is lovely and shiny, the text on the spine is perfectly aligned, the writing is legible - it really makes for a top quality product. But inside is even better - the colours are more vibrant and the paper more smooth than, in all honesty, most actual graphic novels I own.As far as the actual content...well, whether that's any good or not depends on the reader. I quite like it, obviously, but I'm a self-aggrandising shithead. If you go onto the Lulu order page there is an option to look inside and preview the book, so people can try before they buy. I picked the Prospective Lay scene, which is a pretty fair representation of the book's style and sense of humour on the whole.

As I've mentioned before, the book not only has the entire adaptation of the film but also a bunch of extras, including layouts, concept art and piccies. It's a nice little package all round, if I say so myself. For those of you who want to be more eco-friendly and don't necessarily share my geeky enthusiasm for paper quality, remember it can also be purchased as a digital download for half the price. If you're into the universe of graphic novels or know people who are, please spread the word.

No comments: